Fixed term- 18 months
Up to £45,000 per annum
Mothers’ Union is a membership movement of 4 million Christians in 83 countries worldwide. It is a federation of around 600 independent entities worldwide (including 66 Mothers’ Union Diocesan charities in Britain and Ireland), affiliated to the central charity based in Westminster, London.
Members are united in prayer and fellowship, and are committed to showing their faith through practical action in their local communities. In 2016, members, acting as volunteers, made a difference to the lives of over 650,000 people worldwide. The founder of the movement, Mary Sumner, was a social activist who campaigned on various family issues, for example, for the marriage age of girls to be raised from 12 to 16. This tradition of speaking out for social justice, particularly in matters relating to women and family life, continues strongly today with our members.
This is an exciting position for a Policy Advisor who can see the potential power for good of harnessing the voices of the 4m members of Mothers’ Union worldwide, and would enjoy the challenge of helping Mothers’ Union focus and implement key policies for the growth and success of the organisation.
Working closely with the Chief Executive and with colleagues across the organisation, you will:
- Work with management and the Board to develop a credible long-term policy strategy
- Support our immediate policy operational needs
- Identify and deliver ways in which the membership can be equipped to undertake their own advocacy, and agree viable ways of tracking their activities.
- Research, edit and compile briefings, information papers, discussion documents, newsletters, updates and other resources on policy issues as they relate to Mothers’ Union for various audiences.
- Engage effectively with the membership at all levels
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- A proven track record in influencing policy, and the ability to work with Mothers’ Union to develop an appropriate strategic and operational plan
- Excellent research and drafting skills, coupled with strong analytical skills.
- An excellent networker, with the ability to easily build effective relationships internally and externally and work well across multidisciplinary teams.
The policy of Mothers’ Union is inspired by faith. Therefore, the postholder must be a practicing Christian (Occupational requirement, Equality Act 2010)
Please read through the Job Application Pack for more information. If you wish to apply for this exciting role please mail your CV with a supporting statement describing how your skills and experience match our requirements and what you would bring to the role to: email@example.com or by post to Mothers’ Union, Mary Sumner House, 24 Tufton Street, London SW1P 3RB.
Closing date 22 February 2018